This post is sponsored by Albertsons & Safeway.
I’m getting better at having go-to foods I can prepare – easy meals that I can whip up in a short amount of time that everyone (or at least, most everyone) in the family likes. I started making Carnitas, Corn, and Black Bean Soup last year after having something similar at a restaurant. It took a lot of trial and error, but I think it tastes as good as the restaurant (and Mike says it tastes better!).
This is soooo incredibly easy to prep, and I make it often enough that I always keep cans of corn, bean soup, and jalapeños in my cupboard. Plus, the canned foods are cheap, nutritious, and ready to go!
FYI, this meal stores well, assuming you have some left over. In fact, I’ve made a few double-batches just so I can have leftovers!
1 pound cooked carnitas, shredded
1 quart (4 cups) black bean soup
1 15.25-oz can (about 1.5 cups) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 4-oz can diced jalapeno peppers (if you don’t want it too spicy, use less)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cracked red pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
~In a large pot, combine everything but the carnitas and soup.
~Cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft. Stir frequently.
~Add carnitas, mix everything together.
~Add soup, reduce to low heat and cook until soup is hot.
~Serve with chips and a side of grated cheese. James absolutely loves this meal and can eat an entire bowl on his own. He’s a total mess at the end, though! He just sits there and dips chip after chip into the soup, saying, “Nummy! Spicy!” He’s definitely wired like his dad!
Any questions, let me know. Enjoy! Printable version here:
- 1 pound cooked carnitas, shredded
- 1 quart (4 cups) black bean soup
- 1 15.25-oz can (about 1.5 cups) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 4-oz can diced jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cracked red pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ~In a large pot, combine everything but the carnitas and soup.
- ~Cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft. Stir frequently.
- ~Add carnitas, mix everything together.
- ~Add soup, reduce to low heat and cook until soup is hot.
- ~Serve with chips and grated cheese.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons & Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.
This looks delicious!
I wonder how wel it freezes?
This look so tasty and amazing soup.
All Ingredients are easily available at near shops or online apps and it is easy meal in which one can single handedly prepare this for their breakfast.