I’ve always thought a backyard luau would be a fun and easy party to throw. It would be so bright and colorful, and who doesn’t want to imagine they’re on a Hawaiian island? Maybe one of these days I’ll convince Mike to let me throw one! Until then, a girl can dream.
1. This fruit salsa is easy and delicious, I’ve made it a few times and it’s so refreshing on a hot day.
2. These Hawaiian chicken sliders had me at grilled pineapple.
3. The decor ideas at this party are AMAZING, although I am cringing a little at the idea of cleaning up all of that sand!
4. There are recipes for three tropical kabobs here, and they all look easy and delicious.
5. I’ve posted a couple drink recipes that would be great for a luau (the Hula Girl, the Coconut Lime Sublime), but this Hula Coola is another excellent choice. It’s non-alcoholic but that can always be modified if you’d like!
6. OMG I want to make this balloon palm tree just for fun.
7. Same with this beach ball arch! Just glue some beach balls and inner tubes together for a seriously cool way to welcome your guests.
8. This Badmitton Set can be adapted for all sorts of different games.
9. Using a kiddie pool as a cooler is such a cute and cheap idea.
10. You’ve gotta have Tiki cups!
Of course, you need all the standard luau stuff as well – flower leis, paper drink umbrellas, shell necklaces, grass skirt everything, and, to channel your inner Elvis, a limbo game! LOL.
What other ideas do you have? Please share them, and leave party theme requests in the comments!
My friend and I are hosting a Birthday Backyard Luau in a few weeks. I will definitely use some of these ideas!
I love the pool/cooler! My daughter wants a “Teen Beach Movie” themed party, but we live in Missouri, and her birthday is in March = snow! I could definitely use some of those for indoors though. Love!!! You should totally be a professional party planner Heather!
AH! I wish you did this a month earlier! We did a surprise luau for my Dad’s 60th birthday last month and I while I was planning it I kept thinking… I need one of Heather’s party planning idea boards.
Link to the Hula Coola is broken, FYI.
It’s working, here’s the link: http://www.marthastewart.com/345010/the-hula-coola
Love it! I am in the midst of planning my sister-in-law’s baby shower (2nd baby). I decided to go with a Peter Pan theme- thank goodness for Pinterest!
Oh I LOVE that theme, so cute!
Shannon D says:
How about doing a Doc McStuffins theme? Like sometime before my girl turns 3 in October!
Love this! I mentioned this in my survey but not sure how long it will take you to go through them. One of my fave party sites is http://www.shopsweetlulu.com Full disclosure-my friend owns it but her stuff is too cute. Sigh, she was like you, the mom at preschool who had the best parties ever with the cutest ideas.
Oh my gosh really? I am obsessssssed with Shop Sweet Lulu! Your friend is amazing!!
I will pass that along!