I know on Wednesdays, a lot of blogger types participate in “Wordless Wednesdays,” – essentially, they just put up a picture and let it do the talking. I am always saying I’m going to do this because I take lots of pictures and it seems like a good way to show them off. So I get a picture and I paste it in my blogging platform, but instead of hitting “Publish” I always start writing. It should surprise no one who knows me in real life when I say that it’s hard for me to be wordless.
Nonetheless, I am always thinking about Wordless Wednesday on Tuesday nights when I sit down to write. I know a lot of you enjoy the photos I put up because I get comments like, “how did you get that shot/get her to do that/PUT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE.” So I thought in honor of Wordless Wednesday, I’d share my photography secrets. DISCLAIMER – I am not a photographer, I just play one on the interwebs.
- When taking a picture of a baby, it helps if her parents are ridiculous hams who have no problem making fools of themselves. It’s usually pretty easy to spot these types of parents.
- Babies with parents this insanely over the top will most certainly possess the same trait. It’s genetic.
- Next, be willing to put this baby in strange new places. New experiences are key. My baby is pretty expressive, but in my experience, most babies are. You just have to capture the moment. The next experience I plan to capture? Maddie eating bananas. She makes a face like she is eating poop. It’s quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, and that’s including the time Mike peed on our patio when he was sleepwalking. Anyway, tonight I put Maddie in her new bouncer. I took 40 plus shots to get this one:
- Find a photogenic baby. That’s a trick tip. EVERY baby is photogenic. Seriously. You just have to find the right circumstances, and have at least an hour to kill. The right circumstances mean the baby is there when you’re there. That’s pretty much it. And really, who doesn’t love at least one crying or sleeping photosession? My mom has several of me. What can I say? I was a tired drama queen. One of my favorite pictures I’ve taken lately is of my best friend Tara’s daughter. She is one of those kids that sees a camera and freezes up. I spent a while with the camera all up in her grill. I got this picture, and I’ve stared at it every day since.
- Take a LOT of pictures. This is KEY. You have to just click away, no matter what your subject is doing at the time. 95% of my best photos were taken when I was just focusing on my subject (Maddie) and not on what my camera was doing. Of course, that means I get a poop-load of pictures where Maddie looks stoned or droopy. Or whoever else I’m taking pictures of. But it’s usually Maddie. Anyway, here is an example of Maddie looking not so hot.
- Have an extremely patient dog. EXTREMELY PATIENT.
- Have a lot of patience yourself. It took me over an hour to get the two shots below. Was it worth it? Totally. Did I think, 45 minutes into trying to get the perfect shot, it wasn’t worth it? Oh yeah.
- Finally, take pictures of the details. I used to always take pictures of my subject’s face when sometimes, it’s the smaller things you’ll want to remember. Like how tiny her little hands once were.
So, there you go! Those are my “secrets” to getting good photos. Now you, too, can play a photographer on the interwebs!!
Love it! Great advice–Sometimes you do have to take 25 shots to get one good one (who knew taking pictures of your kids was so time consuming!) And Mike peed on the patio in his sleep? That hd me laughing through the entire post! He’d better be nice to you b/c I think you’ve got some serious blackmail material with that one!
OMG- The best picture is Rigby wearing the 2006 glasses!!
I def do the same thing- I take 10,000 pictures until my kids cry or my husband yells abuse.
mayas last blog post..Weird Products from Across the Web: Volume 1
THANK YOU, God for digital cameras and the ability to take 200 pictures of 1 kid in 1 outfit. That’s the only way I could ever get decent pictures of my kids. My son’s whole baby book? Slightly blurry. I’m sure one day he’ll wonder why he was fuzzy until about a year old…I better think of a good excuse now.
And you are so right about the little details, because those fingers are too luscious to ever forget.
Anissa@Hope4Peytons last blog post..Oh, the random
Those are great tips! I really do think the key is to take LOTS of pics. And the part about patience. You really take good ones!
Jennifers last blog post..The Mystery of the Quilted Cat
Her thumbs look ok to me!
Baby pictures AND tips. The perfect post!
Marias last blog post..step by step, ooo baby
Daddy Dan says:
Great tips! Babito is one of those kids that freeze around a camera so I have to take tons of shots to get a couple good ones.
Daddy Dans last blog post..Weekend Update
take a lot of pictures. definitely the best tip.
with digital camera we have the luxury of being able to take TONS of pictures and not feel guilty about it. love that delete button!
alis last blog post..the time i didn’t get to lick Kate Beckinsale
I think taking the pictures of the small things, like Maddies hands, tend to be my favorite pictures. Great tips though.
I have to be very patient to get Nata to smile for the camera….that and quick, because she’s always moving.
Issas last blog post..My MIL is here and I’m so excited….
Your pics crack me up. I always think Maddie looks amazing – no matter what. But I have to say that this time one of my favorites was your dog wearing the “2006” glasses – that was funny. I used to take pics of my lab posing with a dog treat balanced on the tip of his nose. His eyes were always crossed because he was staring it down – waiting to devour it the instant I said “okay”
Leslies last blog post..Chow Hounds
I need some boob shots. Lots of them. Yours, not hers.
What beautiful pictures. Those doggy outfits made me smile. That’s one patient pooch you have there!
Captain Dumbass says:
The baby pics are great, but the pic of Lou Ferrigno!? That was beautiful. Is that actually in your house?
Captain Dumbasss last blog post..Pre-School, Hurricanes & Representin’
Hilarious! Check out my WW today if you have a chance. It’s pretty cute, I must say.
Zellmers last blog post..Out came the sun
Mr Lady says:
She has Shock and Awe eyebrows. It’s EXCELLENT.
Mr Ladys last blog post..I Really Want to Make a Kung Fu Fighting Reference In Here Somewhere
Poor mike – you totally outed him as a peeing sleepwalker. great shots of maddy and your patient puppy.
Thanks for the tips…But I have about five minutes worth of patience to get a shot. After that, I give up. And yell.
Great shots! As usual.