This is one of my Gramma’s recipes that my mom and aunts swear by. I have memories of my gram bringing this appetizer out, only to have every last piece snatched up within minutes. I have NO IDEA why they are called “Hawaiian Pupus,” however. I know “pupus” are Hawaiian for appetizer, but I don’t know what prompted this recipe to be labeled as Hawaiian. Maybe one of you will have some insight?
Grate your cheese into a mixing bowl.
Resist eating the cheese! I know it’s hard, but I have faith in you.
Chop up your onions and add them to the mixing bowl.
Add the chopped olives to the bowl.
It’s mayo time. Add it to the other ingredients in your mixing bowl.
Mix it all up. Wiggle your hips, it’s cardio!
Halve your English Muffins and lightly toast them.
Place your lightly toasted muffins on a baking sheet, then spread the mix on top of each muffin.
Put the baking sheet in the oven and broil until the cheese melts. This took about 3-5 minutes for my oven.
When they are done they should look like this. YUM.
Cut the muffins into quarters. I used a pizza-cutter and it was really easy.
Hawaiian Pupus, ready to eat!
Mike was uncertain about the whole thing. But he then went on to eat every. single. piece. My mom was mad he didn’t save any for her! You snooze you lose, mom.
- 1 package English Muffins
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder (optional)
- salt, to taste
- Combine olives, onions, cheese, salt, curry powder, and mayo in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly toast English muffins.
- Spoon mixture onto muffins, then place in broiler until cheese melts.
- Cut muffins into quarters.
- Serve hot.