I’ve mentioned before that I’m making Mother’s Day brunch at my house for Heather and Heather’s mom. I settled on a recipe that Heather made for me a few times after we first moved in together (back when she was pretending she liked to cook!). Heather has been under the weather and feeling down lately, so when Heather’s mom was over this week I decided to surprise Heather with a practice run. Heather’s mom assured me it was an easy recipe but I was a little worried – I want everything to be perfect on Mother’s Day!
Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Cups
3/4 pound of mushrooms, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onions or shallots
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons Crème fraîche
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
12 slices Black Forest or Virgina Ham (without holes)
Put the chopped mushrooms and onions into a pan with the butter, salt, and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid is evaporated. This took about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, then mix in the crème fraîche and tarragon.
Grease the muffin tin, then fit the ham slices into each cup.
Put a bit of the mushroom mixture at the bottom of each cup. It’s great if you have some left at the end – it’s wonderful on top of the eggs.
Carefully crack an egg into each cup. I only broke one yolk, I was pretty proud of myself.
Bake on the middle rack of your oven at 400° for 10-15 minutes, until the whites are cooked.
I used two forks to carefully remove the ham cups from the muffin tin.
I put some crème fraîche on the side and spooned some extra mushroom mixture onto the tops of the eggs. I then added some bread for sopping up the egg yolk.
Annie and I surprised Heather with breakfast in bed!
Annie kept saying, “Annie try it?”
Heather gave her a bite like the good mama she is.
They both loved it!
Heather’s mom was right, it was easy to make. I’m glad I had a practice round, though. I’m making a ton of them on Sunday. Happy Mother’s Day!
|Baked Eggs And Mushrooms In Ham Cups||
- 3/4 pound of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions or shallots
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 12 slices Black Forest or Virgina Ham (without holes)
- 12 eggs
- Cook mushrooms and onions/shallots in butter with salt and pepper until mushrooms are tender and the liquid they give off is evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in crème fraîche and tarragon.
- Lightly grease each muffin cup, then fit a slice of ham into each cup.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into each cup.
- Add an egg to each cup.
- Bake in middle of oven at 400° for 10-15 minutes, until whites are cooked.
- Remove ham cups from tin carefully, add extra mushroom mixture, crème fraîche, salt, pepper, tarragon as a garnish.
Sour Cream can substitute for crème fraîche.