We saw Dr. Risky today for the first time in two weeks. It’s been weird to go so long without a visit to her office. In the words of her nurse practitioner, it was “a fairly uneventful appointment” for me.

I’ve come to dread the first part of the appointment – this is when I have to give a urine sample, get weighed, and have my blood pressure taken. It’s routinely become the time where I get lectured. I got on the scale and thought heavy thoughts, but it didn’t work. I lost weight again. I’m not in any danger of wasting away, but at the end of this pregnancy I think I might be able to fit in some of my original clothing from the 1980s.

Luckily, I didn’t have any ketones in my urine, so Dr. Risky chose to look on the bright side and I didn’t get a lecture on my weight loss. We discussed some of the different problems I’ve been facing. For the last two weeks, I’ve been suffering from some pretty unpleasant side effects from my nausea meds, so I told her the different solutions the nurse practitioner had suggested and their varying levels of success (or really, their complete lack of success). Dr. Risky is the doctor for a reason, and she gave me a great option that I am anxious to try.

That entire previous paragraph was about pee and poop. SHUDDER.

After we got THAT unpleasantness out of the way, Dr. Risky went over the results from my high-def ultrasound. She was happy with the way everything looked, which was a relief. She then asked me some questions about my pregnancy with Maddie – had I experienced contractions before my water broke (no), when I was officially diagnosed with PPROM (19 weeks), and if I suffered from oligohydramniosis (oh yeah). After the mini-interview, it was decided that I’d go back to a strict weekly monitoring schedule, which probably means more ultrasounds. Fine with me!

It was weird to think so much about my pregnancy with Maddie during this appointment. The nurse practitioner gave me all the paperwork I needed to pre-register for the hospital. There was also information on hospital tours, breastfeeding and infant care & CPR classes. All things I’d never been able to do before Madeline was born.

As we get further along and I feel Binky stretching and kicking with more and more regularity, I still can’t shake the terrible feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am glad I’m going back on a more strict weekly monitoring schedule (although really, I have been the whole time) to help keep my mind under control.