When I wake up in the morning I can usually tell within an hour what kind of day I’m going to have physically. There are a few options:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Regular pregnancy tiredness

If I get a headache or nausea alone, I’m going to have a less-than ideal day, but one where I can function. But if nausea and headache come together? Forget it. I’m down for the count. The new dose and frequency for my anti-nausea medication puts a dent in my nausea about 50% of the time, as long as I stay ahead of it. Unfortunately, I don’t have medication for the headaches. Dr. Risky suggested a cup of coffee every morning and that has helped with that sort of “hangover” headaches I often wake up with. If the caffeine doesn’t work I just have to deal with a headache that day. And really, the physical pain of a headache is very minor in the scheme of things, especially compared to the emotional aches I constantly feel.

Yesterday, however, I woke up and after my coffee, I felt really good. Physical therapy went well, and then it was off to my weekly appointment. I kept waiting for a wave of nausea to hit me. It just didn’t seem possible that I was going to have a day where I felt good ALL day. Dr. Risky and her nurse both noticed that I was looking better. They commented that I had color in my cheeks and I didn’t look like I was going to “fall over.” I must have looked really bad last week.

So, you can imagine my surprise when Dr. Risky walked us into the ultrasound room instead of the exam room. As we walked in, she said to me, “You’re starting to show!” I didn’t know how to respond to that, since I’ve been showing since I was six weeks along and I’m not exactly in my first trimester. I mean, look at me:

seriously, only one baby.

There isn’t really any mistaking that I’m pregnant.

Anyway, Dr. Risky gave me an ultrasound to check the placenta and give my uterus the once-over. I told her I’d still been having contractions on and off, so she went overall the things to do to try to make them stop (go to the bathroom, drink water, and lay on my left side). She was pleased with how everything looked, but she wants me to have another high resolution scan in two weeks to get detailed images. I told Dr. Risky that I would make the ultrasound tech spend an hour looking at Binky if that’s what it took to determine the gender. She laughed and said that the tech wouldn’t, but Dr. Risky doesn’t know how persuasive I am.

Today Binky was clearly not feeling as well as me. The first view on the ultrasound today was a tiny little baby bottom. We got mooned! For the entire ultrasound, Binky faced my back and refused to even show us a leg. That will NOT fly in two weeks, kid.