As Mike so eloquently put it below, Madeline has been measured and is estimated to be around two pounds, 13 ounces. How do they know that? Well, my OB was here early this afternoon with the sonogram machine. After checking my fluid levels, she measured the baby’s head, abdomen, and femur. Based on the measurements, there is some sort of formula all OBs use that helps them estimate the weight. Estimate being the key word there. She could weigh more, and she could weight less. It’s weird to think I have three pounds of baby moving around in there. I don’t FEEL like there is something that heavy in my stomach, although I’m not exactly walking around noticing that sort of thing. But, when she kicks or stretches her legs out, I definitely feel her strength! So maybe three pounds is about right.

There was other good news from the doctor. My fluid levels hadn’t decreased, and while my white blood cell count was up, it wasn’t higher than it had been in the past. A high white blood cell count indicates infection, although most pregnant women have higher WBC counts than average (a normal count is below 10,000). Mine was at 14,000. It’s never been higher than that, although it has been as low as 12,000. So an eye will be kept on that, but unless the elevated numbers also accompany a raised temperature and heart rate from me and the baby, I most likely don’t have an infection. I also stopped taking antibiotics yesterday, so I will be finding out what the next course of action is tomorrow or Monday.

Mike and I also toured the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit today. I got to sit in a wheelchair and leave my room for the first time since I checked in. I was happy to finally really see the maternity floor since when we arrived last Thursday night I wasn’t really paying attention to anything. My nurse escorted us to the NICU and introduced us to a few of the nurses that work in there. One of the nurses showed us an incubator and all the different machines they use to help the babies that require their care. I’m very glad we were able to see the unit BEFORE Madeline is in there. We were able to take it all in and ask lots of questions, and I think we’re both feeling good about the place. It’s very high tech and the nurses are really nice and attentive. Before our tour, they’d discharged a little girl who’d been in the NICU for 63 days. She was born at 28 weeks, which is what I’ll be on Monday. Of course, the longer Madeline waits to be born, the less time she’ll have to spend in the NICU. I am more than willing to be in the hospital if it cuts down on the time she’ll have to spend here.

As if that wasn’t enough excitement for the day, I had a lot more! Christy and Jackie came to visit me before they went to the USC homecoming game, and they brought my room some fun USC decorations. They brought homecoming to me! While they were here, my doctor came by, and Catherine, an emergency room nurse here in the hospital who I also grew up with! Catherine is finishing her nursing training so she’s rotating out to different hospitals; she’s currently in Long Beach learning about being a labor and delivery nurse. But, she still works here on the weekends so she’s going to see me whenever she’s here. I hadn’t seen Catherine in a long time so it was fun to catch up with her. After they all left, my whole family came to hang out with Mike and me. First it was my parents and Aunt Lynn, then later Kyle, Leah, and Ted came over. We watched the USC game, ate yummy food, and also celebrated my mom’s birthday. It was great to spend so much time with everyone. It’s hard to believe I’ve already been here nine days. The time is actually going pretty fast.

Breakfast: Raisin Bran, Cream of Wheat, Orange Juice, decaf coffee
Lunch: Macaroni and cheese, broccoli, iced tea, lemon poppy seed muffin
Spinach dip, cherry tomato bites, Buca di Beppo