Annie is SO JAZZED for school to start. I was the same way when I was a kid. I remember spending hours on my parents’ corded phone (in the kitchen) with my friends, excitedly discussing our teachers, classmates, etc. I thought it would be fun to throw a little Back To School celebration for Annie and her friends, AND I actually convinced Mike it was a good idea. The end of summer is sad but the beginning of the school year is full of exciting possibility – I want to celebrate that, and I’m hoping this BTS party will become an annual tradition. Sorry, Mike! We’ll be partying at the end of August but Jen and I thought it would be fun to show some of my inspiration in case any of you want to throw a back to school party, too!
1. I love kid jokes and dad puns, so of course I think these Lunchbox Jokes are hilarious. They can make cute table decor or party favors.
2. This popsicle stick school bus craft is a fun activity and doubles as a party favor.
3. I love the sweet encouragement that comes with these Smartie Pants favors. School supplies also make a great (and welcome) party favor!
4. Oh my gosh, these apple/worm cookies are the most adorable thing I’ve seen in weeks.
5. Cafeteria food was one of my favorite things about going to school when I was a kid. I wasn’t excited by the food (although I definitely appreciated pizza day), but I loved the independence of getting whatever I wanted (within reason, of course). Sloppy Joe Pizza is a combo of two classic lunchroom staples.
6. I never would have thought to print out cupcake wrappers! These free printables are so perfect. It’s a whole new world for me! #TeamCupcake
7. These gumball pencils are almost painfully cute.
8. I really want to make this ruler wreath! I’m hoping to find most of the materials at the Dollar Store.
9. Dyyyyying over this math flash cards banner! So simple and clever.
10. A slew of free Back To School party printables. Yay!
11. I can’t even paint my own fingernails without getting polish everywhere, so nail art is a bit lofty for me, but we had to include these notebook paper-inspired nails.
12. Speaking of notebook paper, I love the idea of decorating with it.
13. A ruler table runner is so adorable. I might convince myself to make one with the idea that I can hang it up in my sewing room/office after the party. Orrrr I could make it out of paper! That’s slightly more realistic.
I have a few other things up my sleeve, so I’ll do a follow-up after I have the party. Has anyone else thrown a Back To School party? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Love it! All families need to have an annual party of some kind! My family has an annual Halloween party. I just ordered the invites. Never too early to start plan. Can’t wait to see pictures from your party.
I looove Halloween and still totally want to have my regular Halloween party!
Amy K. says:
I follow you on Pinterest and just pinned the pumpkin pretzels!
So cute! I just pinned the heck out of that wreath idea. You should check Target for the rulers, though. They were 39 cents each when I did my back to school shopping. Aaaannnndddd, you can visit James’s face while you are there…which we now have to do every time we go to Target.
REALLY! I will totally grab some rulers there, then! Thanks for the tip! And LOL at visiting James’ face, Annie always insists on going to “see the Jamesie box” whenever we’re at Target!
I have never hosted a BTS party, but my daughter has been to one (years ago) and it was the cutest thing ever! The things that really stuck in my memory are that 1)The food and snacks was served on lunch trays!! and 2) Milk was served in little individual cartons! I wish I could remember more…but good luck and have fun!
Oh man, the lunch tray idea is SO CUTE! I was thinking about doing the little milk cartons. So fun!
Great idea! I’ve always held a back to school bash the Sunday before the start of school at the pool. Over the years we’ve had Kona Ice Trucks, Cornhole games, and the like.
Kids LOVE this party for some reason and once they attend they (and their parents LOL) ask all summer when the back to school bash is scheduled.
It’s fun to have your kids ‘own’ for something that’s easy to put together, fun to do, and requires not that much effort.
Ours is this Sunday – I hope you will have as much fun as we do!
Have a GREAT time!!! Your parties sound amazing!
We do a back to school party every year….I thought my kids were getting too old but know they still love it…it has evolved over the years now mostly a cool cake and hanging out. I made a school bus cake one year out of family fun magazine it was super fun. You can do Rolo pencils that are super cute and easy peezy.
Wow, that cake sounds impressive! I am totally approaching it as a “hang out” party. I might have some things in case the kids WANT to be directed in their activities, but I have a feeling they’ll be happiest just running around and being together.
Great idea! Viv starts preschool in a few weeks and I’m so excited for her. I remember coordinating my ‘first day’ outfit for weeks and organizing all my school supplies. Such a happy little nerd!
My friend Beth (mom of 4 boys) has always thrown an annual back to school party. However, her party is a “BTS Mimosa Party” and starts at 9:30 AM on the 1st day of school after all the kids have been dropped off. All the Moms (especially those of us with SpEd kids as our bond,) bring a dish to share and we gather to reacquaint after a LONG summer. We all look forward to it every year!
I LOVE this idea!!!
Jen L. says:
My back to school party is not creative but it is fun. Our school posts the class room assignments the Monday before school starts (our first day is a Wednesday). After we find out the teachers, all our friends come back to my house for a pool party and pizza. We also take a group picture of the kids on the steps. It has been fun to watch them grow up. This year will be our fourth year.
I would like to go to that party!!